As we all know, stress isn’t good for us. Not only does it make you miserable, but it also accelerates aging. It can make your immune system weaker, making you more susceptible to sickness. It can contribute to depression, higher blood pressure, and muscle pain. It can exacerbate skin conditions such as acne. So it is important to manage stress. Below are some stress reduction techniques:
- Make sure to get enough sleep, avoid alcohol and cigarettes, and eat a healthy diet. Manage caffeine intake.
- Exercising regularly can help you sleep better as well as reduce the hormones that cause stress.
- Incoporating adaptogens into your diet can help protect your body against stress. You should always be careful when taking supplements, especially if you have a medical condition or are taking medications. Some adaptogens that help to to relieve stress are: holy basil, ginseng, ashwagandha, rhodiola rosea, Indian gooseberry, licorice root, among others. Green tea can also help with stress management by affecting serotonin levels.
- Spend more time socializing with friends. Spending too much time alone is associated with stress and depression.
- Find purpose in your life.
- Laughing helps to relieve stress.
- Manage time and don’t overwork yourself or take on too many burdens. Life is meant to be enjoyable. Writing a list down for what you want to get done for the day can help you to be more organized, making life less hectic.
- Manage depression and anxiety. You can try to take deep breaths and watch your thoughts. If you find yourself thinking negatively, try to change your thoughts to more positive ones. Don’t try to be a perfectionist. Medication can also help.